Get on the Path to Results Today.
Request Free Consultation

Vancouver Contempt and Enforcement Lawyers

Request Free Consultation

A problem faced by many people in Washington is what to do if an opposing party is not following the final court orders pertaining to child support, custody, spousal support, and division of property, among other matters. Steps can be taken to enforce court orders with the help of an experienced Washington enforcement attorney. To schedule a free and confidential consultation, contact Cohen Family Law, LLC online or by calling (360) 953-5000.

Why Choose Our Clark County Contempt and Enforcement Attorneys?

  • We provide strategic case planning to help you achieve your goals.
  • You can rely on us to aggressively represent and fight for your best interests.
  • Once we understand your situation, we will give you an honest assessment of your available legal options.

Child Support Enforcement Options in Washington

A court order is essentially a law that applies to the specific parties named in the order. When it is disobeyed, whether intentionally or inadvertently, the court offers methods of correcting it. The enforcement options will vary depending on your case and directly relate to the order that is being violated. Some enforcement methods the Washington courts may allow you to use include:

  • The Division of Child Support (DCS): A child support order will typically require a parent to pay through DCS rather than directly to you. The DCS provides free child support enforcement. After the specified grace period has ended, the DCS will automatically attempt to collect back support. DCS can also collect spousal maintenance for you, but only if you have an open child support case.
  • Wage Garnishment: The court can put a garnishment on the violating spouse or parent’s paychecks. A certain amount of money will be automatically taken each pay cycle and deposited directly into your account.
  • Fines: One of the most common enforcement methods is the court implementing fines against the violator. These penalizing fines are often based on what was violated and how long the violations have occurred.
  • Execution and Lien Foreclosure: You can obtain a court order for the sheriff to seize your former spouse’s property and sell it to pay your judgment.
  • Commissioner Signature: If your spouse refuses to follow a court order and sign necessary documents, for example, if a judge ordered your house to be sold, you can get a court commissioner to execute the document on their behalf.

These are a few of the many enforcement options available to you. In many cases, hiring a contempt enforcement lawyer to demonstrate you are serious about enforcing the violated court order will make your former spouse or the other parent correct their behavior.

What Is A Contempt Motion?

Initiating a contempt action is another option if an opposing party refuses to obey a court order. However, you may only ask for a contempt order if it relates to your:

To prove contempt, you will have to provide evidence that there is a valid court order in place, the other party is aware of it, violations took place, you provided notice of the contempt hearing, and that contempt is an appropriate solution. If the contempt involves a parenting plan, you must also demonstrate that either the violation was in bad faith, the violating party engaged in intentional misconduct, or that past sanctions have not caused the party to obey the order.

Punishments for failing to comply with a judge’s order can include fines and jail time. The guilty party may also be liable for any court costs incurred and your lawyer fees.

Clark County Contempt And Enforcement Lawyers

Explore Your Legal Options Today

If you have questions about enforcing family law court orders or filing a motion for contempt, contact Cohen Family Law, LLC. Our experienced Washington contempt and enforcement attorneys will happily discuss the particulars of your case in a free consultation. Message us online or call today at (360) 953-5000.

Request Free Consultation

  • *required fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.